Temple Bar Photography Summer School
|Friday 28 June – Sunday 30 June 2013|
The inaugural Temple Bar Photography Summer School presents a 3-day accessible programme of talks, events, workshops and an accompanying curated exhibition. The theme of the Summer School is “An Uncertain State”. It provides a platform for lively discussion and debate on the role of photography and visual culture, exploring the uncertain state of contemporary Ireland. The programme is designed to encourage a wider enjoyment and understanding of the cultural value of photography. The Summer School will consist of 4 key elements:
- Two-day talks programme
Two days of programmed Summer School talks by leading artists, academics, historians and writers. The talks will explore how contemporary photographers are responding to this moment of uncertainty and instability in contemporary Ireland. The talks are kindly hosted by Project Arts Centre. * Please note change to the 2nd panel discussion on Friday 28th June – A Snap in Time – Colette O’Flaherty Keeper of Archival Collections, National Library of Ireland will participate in this panel in place of Tom Burke and Annemarie Kilfeather . More / Book [break][break]
- Uncertain State group exhibition explores how photography is responding to where we are now in Ireland. Can photography provide fresh insights into our public and private states? The exhibition will contextualise emerging societal conditions, which are central to the thematic of the summer school. The exhibition will open on 21st June 2013 and continue until 11 August.[break][break]
- A one-day Workshop and Masterclasses programme in the Gallery of Photography will present:
◦ Masterclass with the award winning PPAI Photographer of the Year, Mark Condren.
◦ Bright Futures – panel discussion with Small World curators and creative photo professionals.
◦ Walking Workshop – photo tour of Dublin.
◦ Family Album of Ireland event. More / Book [break][break]
- Special Outdoor projection launch event at 10pm in Meeting House Square: Uncertain Futures open submission projection exhibition curated by Small World specially for the Temple Bar Photography Summer School.
The Temple Bar Photography Summer School is an initiative of: Gallery of Photography, Temple Bar Cultural Trust and Dublin City Council, in partnership with Dublin Institute of Technology Photography Programme and The National Photographic Archive/The National Library of Ireland.