Erich Hartmann: Dublin 1964

  June –
July 2004

Image by Erich Hartmann from the exhibition Dublin 1964 at Gallery of Photography Ireland, June 16 – July 31 2004.

The Gallery of Photography is proud to present the world premiere of work by the Magnum photographer, Erich Hartmann.

Hartmann went to Dublin for the first time in 1964. He had already explored the city extensively in his imagination, ever since he first read James Joyce’s Ulysses. But now he came in reality, and he brought his cameras.

Eager to understand the strange mix that spawned great artistry but repelled the artist, he wandered the city searching out every place and incident of Joyce’s fictional June day sixty years before. This search resulted in more than an evocation of a novel. It is a record of Erich Hartmann’s own journey of discovery through Dublin, captured in over 3,000 images. He explored it all: the hill at Howth, the palm trees blowing in the chilly damp along Sandymount Strand, the port and the pubs along the River Liffey, the Georgian elegance of Merrion Square, society at the race track, merchants and farmers at the cattle market. He found a microcosm of the world there in what Joyce called “The Heart of the Hibernian Metropolis”.

This particular body of work has never been exhibited before. It comprises over seventy-five vintage prints, selected and printed by the photographer.

About the photographer

Erich Hartmann (1922-1999). Born in Munich, Hartmann emigrated to the US in 1938. He enlisted in the US army and served in the Normandy invasion. On his return to New York, he worked as a freelance and was invited to join Magnum in 1952. He served as a Board member 1967-1986 and as President 1985-86. As a photojournalist, he travelled all over the world on assignments from newspapers, magazines and corporate clients. His work was exhibited extensively in the US and Europe. His book, ‘In the Camps’ was published in 1995. ‘Where I Was’, a book of personal photographs, was published in 2000 after his death.

With thanks to MaryAnn Camilieri for introducing this body of work to the Gallery, and to Ruth Hartmann for her unstinting support in the preparation of the exhibition.